WHY I HATE THE X FACTOR!

Go down

WHY I HATE THE X FACTOR!

Post  FlyingDagg on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Oh where to start? First of all the rules of X Factor. The winner has to sign with SYCO. This usually results in one album and maybe a coulple of singles being released. I reckon the majority then get dropped but I will acknowledge that there is the odd exception like Leona Lewis. All artists have to sign a contract to say that if they sign with SYCO when they are dropped they cannot sign with any other company for 5 YEARS. Note the name SYCO. It's Simon Cowell 100%. He owns you and everthing that you produce as an artist. Do you get paid. Yes of course you do. On the last X Factor live tour all the artists got a wage. Reported as roughly £250 per show for the bigger names but out of this they have to pay for their own expenses. Cowell has denied this but refuses to disclose how much they will make. BTW a sell out show at the 02 Arena will gross around £600,000

How much artistic freedom does an artist retain once they appear on X Factor? Not a lot judging by Lucy Spraggan and her Beer Fear song. She released the song on Itunes herself prior to X Factor but was told to stop selling it as it was damaging sales by other X Factor acts (Little Mix in particular).

But my main complaint is that X Factor is nothing to do with talent it is purely a money making machine for Cowell. The man is a leech who is only interested in his own self promotion. The TV shows are purely about getting the best ratings as better rating means more income for Cowell. If that means putting through an act such as Lucy, who lets face it is no Bob Dylan on the lyrics side, or Wagner who would be lucky to get a gig in a pub, then he will do that to cause controversy and boost ratings. What annoys me most about this aspect of it is that I have been a fan of live music since my late teens and have seen hundreds of groups live slog away doing what they love. I have seen some local bands, some who had contracts with Indy labels, put on great live shows with excellent musicianship that would blow away certain X Factor acts. That's what music should mean not a brief flirting on TV hoping to take a short cut. Nowadays everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame and are quite prepared to sell their soul to Cowell to get it. If they get any longer they are damn lucky.
FlyingDagg

Back to top Go down

Re: WHY I HATE THE X FACTOR!

Post  JEFFTER on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:00 am

Who you voting for then daggs lol
JEFFTER

Back to top Go down

Post  steelrod on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:11 am

lol! jeffter you got my vote dagg lol!
steelrod

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingDagg on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 am

Trevor I came back to reply to your post but it seems to have disappeared. But I'll try and answer what I remember. With regards to the 5 year ban when signing for another company this may well have been deemed illegal now but I remember reading an article in the Guardian quoting an entrant to the X Factor who when he was offered a contract referred to this 5 year ban. I can't remember his name but it was in the early days of X Factor.
I understand what you say about your own attempts to make it and I have no quarrel with people who have put in the hours and hard work using X Factor as a stepping stone. I do know how hard it is and how poorly paid some gigs can be as I used to attend gigs of a lead guitarist I was friends with when I was in my late teens. He even agreed to do one gig supporting Thin Lizzy for expenses only as it was great exposure for his band. It's the acts that go on X Factor that can barely sing in tune and wouldn't know one end of a mike from the other that make a mockery of the whole business. I know that's not Cowells fault but he is in it to make money with no regard for the quality of the music being produced. He doesn't care about the acts he signs and is only interested in making the largest profit in the shortest time. Yes I know it's a good business plan and he does have a good business brain but his companys contribution to music is more or less zilch.

And don't even get me started on Jeremy ******** Kyle!
FlyingDagg

Back to top Go down

Post  Pokertrev on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:27 pm

FlyingDagg wrote:Trevor I came back to reply to your post but it seems to have disappeared. But I'll try and answer what I remember. With regards to the 5 year ban when signing for another company this may well have been deemed illegal now but I remember reading an article in the Guardian quoting an entrant to the X Factor who when he was offered a contract referred to this 5 year ban. I can't remember his name but it was in the early days of X Factor.
I understand what you say about your own attempts to make it and I have no quarrel with people who have put in the hours and hard work using X Factor as a stepping stone. I do know how hard it is and how poorly paid some gigs can be as I used to attend gigs of a lead guitarist I was friends with when I was in my late teens. He even agreed to do one gig supporting Thin Lizzy for expenses only as it was great exposure for his band. It's the acts that go on X Factor that can barely sing in tune and wouldn't know one end of a mike from the other that make a mockery of the whole business. I know that's not Cowells fault but he is in it to make money with no regard for the quality of the music being produced. He doesn't care about the acts he signs and is only interested in making the largest profit in the shortest time. Yes I know it's a good business plan and he does have a good business brain but his companys contribution to music is more or less zilch.

And don't even get me started on Jeremy ******** Kyle!

Hi Dagg.
Yeh not sure what I did with the post, I logged on to admin and went to the quick tools drop down menu and instead of edit I must have chose delete or something. Not sure whether its moved it or deleted it. Bit anoying really as it took me ages to do lol.

Anyway glad you remembered most of it. I see what your saying regarding some of the acts though as opposed to what we would class as real artists. I've seen some great bands over the years that would make mincemeat out of some of the X-Factor contestents. Maybe Simon Cowell should do a Battle of the Bands type of show and give real musicians a chance at fame.

I would still sign that 1 year/album contract though. Mind you I am knocking on a bit Smile
Pokertrev
Admin

http://www.teampokertitans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Battle of the bands

Post  FlyingDagg on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:23 pm

If I remember corrctly they did a series on BBC on a Battle of the bands theme about 4 or 5 years ago. I'm sure one of the presenters was Jo Whiley and one of the judges was Alex James from Blur. The standard was pretty good even for unsigned bands but definately not X Factor material. Not bland enough for Mr Cowell.
FlyingDagg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down